Frequently Asked Questions

Below you'll find answers to the most common questions we get asked from businesses about COVID-19

As the situation continuously changes day-by-day and more information becomes available, we will update this page to answer the most frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the information you need below, please email us and we will do our best to answer your question. 


  • What businesses are allowed to reopen? Toggle accordion content

    From 4 July, many businesses and venues will be permitted to reopen and will be expected to follow COVID-19 Secure guidelines. These include:

    • hotels, hostels, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartments or homes, cottages or bungalows, campsites, caravan parks or boarding houses
    • places of worship
    • libraries
    • community centres
    • restaurants, cafes, workplace canteens, bars, pubs that are self-contained and can be accessed from the outside
    • hair salons and barbers, including mobile businesses
    • cinemas
    • theatres and concert halls
    • funfairs, theme parks, adventure parks and activities
    • outdoor gyms and playgrounds
    • museums and galleries
    • bingo halls
    • outdoor skating rinks
    • amusement arcades and other entertainment centres
    • model villages
    • social clubs
    • indoor attractions at aquariums, zoos, safari parks, farms, wildlife centres and any place where animals are exhibited to the public as an attraction
    • indoor and outdoor areas of visitor attractions including, gardens, heritage sites, film studios and landmarks

    Read more here

  • What businesses are not allowed to reopen? Toggle accordion content

    The following businesses will need to remain closed, as we have assessed that they cannot yet be made sufficiently COVID-19 Secure:

    • nightclubs
    • casinos
    • bowling alleys and indoor skating rinks
    • indoor play areas including soft-play
    • spas
    • nail bars, beauty salons and tanning salons
    • massage, tattoo and piercing parlours
    • indoor fitness and dance studios, and indoor gyms and sports venues/facilities
    • swimming pools and water parks
    • exhibition or conference centres - where they are to be used for exhibitions or conferences, other than for those who work for that venue.

    Read more here

  • Has their been new guidance published? Toggle accordion content

    There has been new guidance published for the visitor economy, restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaways as well as hotel and other guest accommodation services, which you can view here.

    More guidance is to follow for events and entertainment operators. 

  • How do I apply for the industry standard? Toggle accordion content

    “We’re Good To Go” is the official UK mark to signal that a tourism and hospitality business has worked hard to follow Government and industry COVID-19 guidelines and has a process in place to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.


  • How do I gather customer data? Toggle accordion content

    The opening up of the economy following the COVID-19 outbreak is being supported by NHS Test and Trace. You should assist this service by keeping a temporary record of your customers and visitors for 21 days, in a way that is manageable for your business, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed.

    The requirement to collect this data applies to:

    • hospitality, including pubs, bars and restaurants (it does not apply to businesses operating a takeaway/delivery only basis)
    • tourism and leisure, including hotels, museums, cinemas, zoos and theme parks 
    • close contact services, including hairdressers, and others 
    • facilities provided by local authorities, including town halls and civic centres for events, community centres, libraries and children’s centres
    • places of worship, including use for events and other community activities

    This guidance applies to any establishment that provides an on-site service and to any events that take place on its premises. It does not apply where services are taken off-site immediately, for example, a food or drink outlet which only provides takeaways. If a business offers a mixture of a sit-in and takeaway service, contact information only needs to be collected for customers who are dining in. It does not apply to drop-off deliveries made by suppliers.

    The data that needs to be collected is:


    • The names of staff who work at the premises.
    • A contact phone number for each member of staff.
    • The dates and times that staff are at work.

    Customers and visitors

    • The name of the customer or visitor. If there is more than one person, then you can record the name of the ‘lead member’ of the group and the number of people in the group.
    • A contact phone number for each customer or visitor, or for the lead member of a group of people.
    • Date of visit and arrival and, where possible, departure time.

    If a customer interacts with only one member of staff, the name of the assigned staff member should be recorded alongside the name of the customer If you have a large booking, for example, at a restaurant, you only need to collect the name and contact phone number of the lead member of the party. This data needs to be kept for 21 days.


  • Who is responsible for businesses carrying out a Covid19 risk assessment and re-opening safely to be ‘Covid secure’? Toggle accordion content

    It is a business’s sole responsibility to complete a Covid19 risk assessment and put adequate measures in place to ensure they are safe to re-open and trade – in line with national government guidance.

    The KCC Trading Standards team are currently offering free business advice.

    Covid19 is a new risk that should be considered alongside existing risks. Your risk assessment should assess the risk of employees, volunteers, contractors, cleaners, drivers, members of the public or others contracting or spreading Covid-19 and conducting activities safely. Businesses with more than 5 employees must ensure it is written down. Risk assessments are vital to justify your decisions and actions as a business and should be communicated with your employees. Businesses with over 50 employees are expected to publish this on their website.

Frequently asked questions on travel restrictions 

Frequently asked questions on outdoor spaces

Frequently asked questions on accommodation 

Frequently asked questions on hygiene, safety and facilities

  • Can you provide more guidance on managing public toilet facilities? Toggle accordion content

    The government has provided guidelines for managing public toilets. These guidelines include: 

    • Using signs and posters to build awareness of good handwashing technique, the need to increase handwashing frequency, avoid touching your face and to cough or sneeze into your arm. Consider how to ensure safety messages reach those with hearing or vision impairments

    • Providing regular reminders and signage to maintain hygiene standards

    • Providing hand sanitiser in multiple locations in addition to washrooms

    • Setting clear use and cleaning guidance for toilets to ensure they are kept clean and social distancing is achieved

    • Enhancing cleaning for busy areas

    • Providing more waste facilities and more frequent rubbish collection

    • Using disposable paper towels in handwashing facilities where possible

    • Minimising use of portable toilets

    • Provision of automated hand sanitising dispensers in public places

    • Ensuring that takeaway catering facilities can be used in a safe way that maintains social distancing and hygiene

    You can find more information on the guidelines here

  • Can I expand my outside seating area? Toggle accordion content

    Associated with the business planning bill is draft guidance on the proposed new temporary Pavement Licences. This is a streamlined process to allow businesses likes pubs, restaurants and cafes to place removable furniture on footpaths outside their premises. The main attributes of the licenses are:

      • The fee is capped at £100
      • The consultation period is only 5 working days
      • Applications not decided in 5 working days will be deemed to have been granted
      • The licence is for a year but not beyond 30 September 2021
      • Any business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises) can apply for a licence
      • If a business does not already have an alcohol license or is not registered to sell food and drink, it will still need to apply for these.
      • The licence is deem to be planning permission so this is not required when a licence is granted


    The furniture that can be used is:

      • counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
      • tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
      • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
      • umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink.


  • Are masks compulsory on Heritage Railways? Toggle accordion content

    • The current legislation on the wearing of face coverings on public transport states that a face masks should be worn on any service for the carriage of passengers from place to place which is available to the general public (whether or not payment is required for this service). These regulations include heritage rail, as these trains transport people from place to place and are available to the general public on purchase of a ticket; and the exemptions in the legislation do not apply in this context. The reason for this measure is that trains are enclosed spaces where the risk of transmission is high, and therefore wearing masks could improve the protections for passengers and employees.
    • There are, however, several caveats to the regulations. For example, if there are separate berths for individuals/families/bubbles, it may be acceptable to remove masks while passengers are in that accommodation alone or with members of their household/a linked household, provided safety of passengers can be assured. A heritage train with “corridor coaches” (where a corridor leads to several compartments) may be able to take advantage of this exemption provided that a compartment is occupied only with persons from the same or linked households.
    • Additionally, the legislation states that masks may be removed "if it is reasonably necessary to eat or drink". Organisations will need to fully consider if the nature of the train journeys they are providing would fall within the spirit of this caveat. Any measures put in place to ensure the safety of passengers should be taken following a risk assessment